Tuesday, January 26, 2010

the other man

You were my opium, your gentle touch
sending waves of adrenaline
through all my veins,
lighting my face with a smile,
heating my body with fire.

But a drug does not choose who will consume it.
And I longed deep within to be chosen.
And now a man within my heart has chosen me.

True, he has neither skin nor bones nor any substance I can touch.
True, he has no resonant voice to vibrate my cold heart back to life.
But he speaks to me through the rising of the sun.
He touches me through the invisible current of cosmic energy.
He loves me through a vision that only I can see.

I still love you, and nothing is your fault,
but never again
will I cherish your illicit pleasures
deep within my heart and body
as though loving an inert substance were the best I could hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment